The alternate .dol method is needed to make a few games work.
Warning: This is the old version of this page kept for posterity. It is no longer actively maintained. It is now much easier to do this method without installing anything on the PC. The new method is here.
Some Wii games reload a different executable file at some point throughout the game. This eliminates the hook to the hard drive and the game will crash. To get these games working, you can load the file needed by the game directly instead of loading the normal game. Some of the games that require this are Fate of Atlantis included in Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Mortal Kombat Armageddon and the MotionPlus tutorial videos found in MotionPlus games. A list of games that require this method can be seen marked by asterisks in Problem Category 1 of this list.
What you should install first
- Configurable USB Loader v32 or another compatible USB Loader.
What you need
- USB Drive
What to download
- wbfsGUI, a WBFS Manager to see the drive on your PC from this page.
- If you don't have a Windows PC, but you do have a Mac, look here for Mac compatible mangers instead.
- WiiScrubber package from this page
- Unzip and copy the contents of the wbfsGUI zip file to a directory on your hard drive
- Within the WiiScrubber package .rar file, unrar both Wiiscrubber140.rar and MakeKeyBin1.1.rar into the same directory where you installed wbfsGUI
- All files from these extractions should be in the one directory when you are done.
- Navigate to the directory and run MakeKeyBin.exe
- Enter 42 in the text box and click generate to create key.bin and kkey.bin files in the directory
- Delete MakeKeyBin.exe if you like, it's job is done
Extracting and using the alternate .dol file with Configurable USB Loader
- Plug your USB drive into your PC
- Run wbfsGUI.exe
- If using Vista or Windows 7, you should run as administrator. Right click the file and choose "Run as administrator".
- Your drive should be autodetected and displayed in the right pane. If not, try selecting its drive letter to find it.
- Set the directory you used earlier as the destination directory in the box above the left pane.
- Select the game you want to extract an alternate .dol from and click the single left arrow button "<" between the two panes to copy the game from the hard drive to your PC
- Run WiiScrubber
- Select to Load ISO and find and select the file you extracted
- Search the contents of the .iso to find a file called something.dol where something is anything except main.
- Extract that .dol file from the .iso (via right click)
- Rename the file to XXXX.dol where XXXX is the four-digit code of the game.
- The four-digit code can be found on the back of the game box near the barcode, or in Configurable USB Loader when you select the game from the menu
- Copy XXXX.dol to sd:/usb-loader
- Insert the SD Card and drive back into the Wii and start Configurable USB Loader
- Select the game with the 1 button to change options.
- Change alternate .dol to 1 and save options with 2 if you always want to load the game that way
- Play the game and it should now work.